Michael L. Helms
MFA in Scene Design and Stage Technology: Brigham Young University, April 1987
BFA in Scene Design and Stage Technology: Utah State University, June 1981
Appalachian State University Boone, North Carolina 2009-Present:
- Scenic and Lighting Design Faculty for the deparment of Theatre and Dance at Appalachian
State University. Instructor in scenery and props, lighting and sound, stage management and
design. Full time tenured professor.
Snow College Theatre Ephraim, Utah 1987-2009:
- Resident Scenic Designer for the Snow College Theatre Department's four show season. Direct one production per year. Instructor of courses in scenic art, properties construction, makeup, and theatre appreciation . Full time tenured faculty, professor rank.
Nevada Ballet Theatre Las Vegas, Nevada 1999-2009:
- Lighting Designer for the NBT. Responsibilities include the lighting design for the NBT's five show season. In addition, act as Technical Director for the NBT's annual touring production on The Nutcracker and other touring productions throught the year. Scenic and Lighting Designer for the 2004 premier of Dracula. Scenic and Technical Consultant for the March 2000 premier production of Peter Pan .
Burch Mann’s American Folk Ballet Cedar City, Utah 1994-1997:
- Sound engineer for the AFB’s 1994-1997 seasons. Responsibilities included setup and mix of the ballet’s sound, both live and recorded, in a large arena setting. Also designed lighting for the 1996 production of The Prairie Years.
Utah Shakespearean Festival Cedar City, Utah 1992-1994:
- Production Manager for the Festival. Responsibilities included serving as liaison between the directors, designers and production areas. I was also responsible for setting and managing production schedules, budget, and handling personnel concerns for the Festival's production staff of some 120 people.
Utah Shakespearean Festival Cedar City, Utah 1988-90:
- Technical Director for the 1988-90 seasons. I was responsible for the technical aspects of all productions in the Adams Memorial Theatre.
Special Skills and Interests:
Scenic Art • Computer aided drafting and modeling (VectorWorks, Strata 3D Pro, Google Sketchup) • Computer aided lighting design, (VectorWorks Spotlight, Lightwright, MacLux Pro, Virtual Light Lab) •Video animation and projection • Computer Skills (Adobe Creative Suite Pro, Microsoft Office) • Sound design and editing (Pro Tools HD, Garage Band) • Musical Skills (Vocal, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Percussion) • Acting • Directing
©2015 Michael Helms
Scenic and Lighting Design
772 Farthing Hayes Rd.,Boone, NC 28608
Scenic and Lighting Design